The primary role of the Board of Directors is Governance. Legally speaking, you are the public’s eye on your chosen organization, ensuring that it lives up to its Mission, Values and Goals. As a Director, you would be responsible for playing a role in the agency’s Mission and guiding it in accomplishing its Vision. While these are serious tasks, being a Board member has many rewards. You will have the opportunity to use your special knowledge and experience, be it in Marketing, Finance, Planning, Evaluation, Fundraising, Policy Development, Event Planning, or as a consumer of the agency’s services. You may be a strong supporter of the agency programs and feel a commitment to support the ongoing work that the agency does.
Many Kootenay Family Place Board Members were participants in one of our programs and feel the need to give back to KFP.
Some typical functions that you will take part in are:
• Reviewing budgets.
• Hiring and evaluating the Executive Director.
• Reviewing quarterly Performance & Quality Improvement Reports.
• Planning special events.
• Contributing to the agency four year Strategic Plan.
• Board Development workshops.
• Fundraising and Promotional Campaigns.
The Board of Directors is encouraged to carry out their responsibilities with creativity and fun. They are fully supported by the Management staff, if you have never been on a Board before, there are staff who will give you an orientation and support your new role on the Board.
There are 8 Board meetings a year and the Annual General Meeting in June. There may be additional Board Committees struck for special events or strategic planning purposes.
Some questions to ask yourself:
• How well do I know the entire Agency?
• Who are the current Board of Directors?
• What is the time commitment?
• What is my area of experience or knowledge that I can bring to the board?
• What is the reputation of the agency?
• What is the financial and legal status of the agency?
Steps to take to be a member of Kootenay Family Place Board of Directors:
• Contact Jim Fisher, Executive Director by telephone or email firstname.lastname@example.org ext 229
• Send a brief biography expressing your interest in being a Board Member
• Review the Kootenay Family Place Board Orientation CD
• Arrange for a tour and orientation
• Attend a meeting!